With the upset of the Kansas Jayhawks by the Northern Iowa Panthers, It made me think just how the Underdog has faired throughout NCAA tournament history. This is not greatest all time list but just few games that in my opinion some of the shining moments of an underdog.
1. 1983 National Championship game N.C. State Wolfpack Vs Houston is probably the greatest upset in tournament history that I actually saw. Lorenzo Charles will forever be remembered for catching that missed shot and slamming dunking his way to most memorable underdog shining moment in any NCAA Tournament. Below is a piece of video showing Lorenzo Charles catching missed shot of Derek Wittenberg.
2. 1985 Championship Game Villanova Wildcats Vs Georgetown Hoyas I remember this game mainly because I wrote an article for my school paper predicting the Final Four and I picked three out of four teams that year. I like everyone thought Georgetown would take it all. This was a well played game and the Wildcats could not miss.
3. The year was 1998 and this shot n the Valparaiso on the basketball map. Bryce Drew could really shoot the ball overall his fundamentally sound game really showed his was a coach’s son. Dude leaned in on the shot.
4. 2006 run of George Mason had a few shining moments when making to Final Four that year. They did not win it but their play was outstanding as we will see in the video below. UConn was victim to George Mason’s Cinderella run that year.
5. Saturday game between Kansas and Northern Iowa is one of the bigger upset in recent years. Ali Farokhmanesh pulled up for that shot was that shot that everyone will remember. It broke a lot of brackets with that shot and they crushed the hopes of the Jayhawks.